The Role of the Least Aspected Planet in Astrocartography.

Planetary Symbolism in Astrocartography and Transcendental Astrology,

by Robert Couteau.

All text © Copyright 2005, 2012 Rob Couteau

 

IX. Transcendental Portraits:
On the Symbolism of Least Aspected Uranus-Moon


(The following discussion occurred on June 13, 2003, in New York.)

 

 

Couteau: As a least aspected planet, Uranus portrays who you are at a core level. This is your natural expression of soul.

        Unlike the other planetary symbols, Uranus is neither a masculine nor a feminine principle. Itís like a toggle switch that alternates between the two.

        Itís an outer planet, but itís not the outermost planet. Itís in between the social-col≠lective symbols of Jupiter / Saturn and the transpersonal symbols of Pluto / Neptune. In that special location, it signifies Divine intuition. Itís more than merely a personal intuition. It embodies a genius quality: an ability to put things together in a fundamentally new way. It inspires us to assemble structures that have never been assembled before. To create novel formsĖin your life or in physical things, such as inventions, through which new parts of the Self will manifest. Those born with a Transcendental Uranus often exhibit a forward-moving (or what the Greeks call telic or teleological) impulse: the notion that things move forward, toward a goal, for a reason, for a purpose.

 

Sarah: I certainly resonate to that.

 

With planetary symbolism, thereís a progressive movement: from the personal to the interpersonal; to the social-collective; to the transpersonal.

        The yin (or feminine) planets represent experi≠ences of merging. The Moon represents our emotional foundation. Venus is how we interact intimately with others. Jupiter symbolizes a cultureís soulful institutions. For example, an art museum is a collection of many individual soulful expressions, which are grouped together. When theyíre grouped in a certain manner, they reflect a tradition: an artistic, philosophical, or spiritual culture. Finally, past Jupiter, we have Neptune, which is beyond the symbols of the social collective. It represents experiences in which the ego is temporarily dissolved. The focal point is no longer in the personal consciousness. Neptune rules experiences of rapture: usually, religious experiences that are blissful, not terrifying. (Religious experiences can also be terrifying, but Neptune ordinarily portrays the blissful aspect.) It portrays a clairvoyant kind of empathy, because an empath can shift the focal point from himself to someone else.

        Thatís the nature of the movement we have on the feminine side. On the yang or masculine side, we find a different form of energy. The yang symbols portray experi≠ences of separation or discrimination. They have more to do with so-called objective reality. The Sun is the formation of the ego. Itís the sense that youíre an individual; youíre separate from others. Mars symbolizes how your individuality interacts with another person. Perhaps, competitively. Or you express a spe≠cial skill, the other person expresses their specialization, and together you work toward a goal. Saturn is what happens when you bring that special skill into a larger social-collec≠tive sphere. It rules institutions of a yang nature. Whereas Jupiter is an art institution, Saturn is a scientific institute. Saturn codifies a different kind of reality. A more cut-and-dry reality. After Saturn, we have Pluto: the transpersonal expression of yang consciousness. Pluto portrays what happens when we confront an aspect of reality that weíre not prepared for and that has a shattering or earth-shaking affect upon us. Unlike Neptune, which portrays a more intoxicating yet equally as dangerous dissolution of the ego (e.g., rapture), Pluto almost fractures the ego. Itís as if thereís a piece of reality thatís too big to digest. But if you let go of the ego and digest it in some way, you are transformed.

        Those are the two typical avenues of energetic progression. Now, the Uranian principle doesnít apply to either one. Ura≠nus is an antenna that stands between the transpersonal principles of Neptune / Pluto and the social-collective principles of Jupiter / Saturn. Uranian consciousness takes these incredible transpersonal principles and reassembles themĖgives them form or structure (but an avant-guard form or structure)Ėwithin the social collective. Thatís why Uranus symbolizes reformation. Reforming a yin or a yang institution. It ďpicks upĒ transpersonal or archetypal insights that originate from a deep, collective level (Neptune / Pluto) of the psyche and reforms and reassembles them in society. Eventually, that new form is accepted as an ordinary, everyday aspect of our social-col≠lective institutions.

        Thatís an abstract way of speaking. But itís important to see how Uranus operates within this overall context. And you personify the Uranian principle in some way. Through your person; through your life. Through your long-term goals, you somehow personify this energy.

        In your horoscope, this is a key principle. This focal point of Uranus is in your Third House. Do you know about horoscope houses?

 

> The Third House is communications, isnít it?

 

Yes, thatís right. Itís interesting, because your Third House has Gemini on the cusp, and the traditional ruler of the Third is Gemini-Mercury. Now, Mercury is the other planet that doesnít fall purely within the yin or yang ontological development. Even traditional astrologers say that Mercury is the lower octave of Uranus. Traditional astrologers, however, donít consider Uranus to be asexual; they consider it to be yang. (But I donít believe itís yang; this is my approach.) Traditionally, Mercury portrays the lower octave of Uranus, so Uranus is the higher octave of the same energy. And Mercury is hermaphroditic. So, you have ele≠ments of each principle in Mercury. Mercury is the teacher (yang) and the student (yin). The student absorbs; thatís very yin. And the teacher presents the information. Heís more extroverted, bringing the energy out, which is yang.

        The principal difference between Mercury and Uranus is that Uranus works like a toggle switch. Sometimes it shifts to male energy; sometimes, to female. Do you know the I Ching? If you read my essay on Uranus, I discuss how it rules the principal in the I Ching whereby a yang line moves and, in reaching an extreme form, it shifts into its opposite or yin condition. Thatís very Uranian.

        As we said, the Third House is ruled by Gemini-Mercury. So the Third symbolizes education, communication, short-distance travel: all those things. I like to say it rules cognitive processes. Itís how we give form to feeling and idea. Again, thatís the hermaphroditic quality: feelings are more of a yin principle; ideas are more of a yang principle (because itís an analytical and, therefore, separating process). So Mercury rules the Third House, and you have the higher octave of Mercury there: you have Uranus there. So, this gives a Divine intuition or ingeniousness to your ideas. An ability to put things together in a way theyíve never been put together before. And that creates a completely new result.

        Uranus is your least aspected or Transcendental planet, so Transcendental Uranus in the Third is your focal point. Ideally, all the planetary energies are rooted, grounded, and focused through Uranus. And the Third House symbolizes areas in everyday life where Uranus is likely to manifest. This is your fulcrum point.

        We must also examine the Secondary Transcendental to see how the two work together. In your horoscope, the second least aspected is the Moon. So, to the extent that the Moon is also Transcendental for you:

        The Moon resides in your Ninth House. And the Third is opposite the Ninth. So, while the Third rules the things we just discussedĖthe ďlower mind,Ē the Mercurial mind, the daily cognitive processes, communicating, the general intellectĖthe Ninth rules the so-called higher mind: a Jupiterian realm of philosophy and spirituality, especially in its codified, institutionalized form.

        The Third portrays your immediate environment: your personal space and how you interact with that. With Uranus, there might be an eccentric look or an unusual feel to your space.

 

> Yes! [Laughs] I have an eclectic collection of things, yes.

 

Interesting! As I said before, because of its proximity to the transpersonal principles of Neptune-Pluto, Uranus is a bit impersonal. Itís beyond the social collective. In antique astrology, Saturn was believed to be the outermost planet, because it was the last planet that could be seen by the eye in the nighttime sky. Thatís why Saturn is associated with the limits of reality: the limits of known, visible reality.

        Since Uranus is beyond the visible reality, beyond the social collective, those who are Uranian have an impersonal or an electrical feeling to them.

        In your case, Iím wondering if you have a wacky space or if thereís something impersonal about it. You have unusual things in your immediate space?

 

> I do have interesting things, and I have an oddĖan electric collectionĖof things. If something speaks to me, I get it whether it goes with anything else or not. Then I look for where it fits in. And if it doesnít: Oh, well.

 

What about your Moon? Did you read my essay on the Moon? Did you connect with the Moon material?

 

> Actually, I did.

 

The Moon is the most personal level of emotion, of our yin energy. Itís the emotional well-being: the emotional aspect of being. It symbolizes early childhood: the pre-ego phase. The intrauterine period, and the first two years of life, when we possess only a nascent ego structure and weíre forcefully imprinted by the psychic atmosphere of the parents. Thatís why the Moon rules sensitivity to external stimuli: being open and absorbing, especially on a personal level. Traditionally, the Moon rules the Fourth House. The Fourth symbolizes early childhood and the nest: where we go for succor or to revitalize ourselves. In addition, the Fourth rules the formation of autonomous psychological complexes. The psychic imprinting from the parents creates complexes: unconscious yet habitual ways of responding.

        Your Moon is Transcendental, so thereís likely to be a very positive aspect to this child≠hood realm within you. When I see someone with a most aspected or Leading Moon, often thereís a great deal of difficulty in expressing emotion. But not so with Transcendental Moon. You laugh a lot, for example; you put your emotion out there. I can feel you. You have a lot of emotion: pleasant emotion. I can hear it in your voice.

        Yesterday, I had a client with a Leading Moon, and there was a deep reserve, and almost a coldness, because itís so dysfunctional. But with Transcendental Moon, you have the ability to remain in touch with your emotion and to tune in to other peo≠pleís feelings, as well. Transcendental Moon signifies communicating in an ďemotionally consciousĒ manner. Before you say something, first you think about what youíre saying and how itís going to affect the other personís feelings. Youíre tuning in to the other person on a very personal level. Now, does that describe you?

 

> Yes. Very much so. Iím very intuitive as far as where other people are, emotionally.

 

What you just said is a great keynote formula for Uranus / Moon: ďIntuitive / about other peopleís emotions.Ē The intuition is Uranus, and the Moon is your emotional sensi≠bility and sensitivity. Essentially, that describes you. You put it better than I could have.

 

 > So, what should I do when I grow up?

 

[Laughs] Weíll get to that in just a minute!

 

> Thank you! [Laughs]

 

Weíll get to that in a minute, because now weíre going to discuss the difficult stuff. That is, the Saturn-Venus complex: the Leaders. Most aspected or Leading Planets usually symbolize blockages. If you havenít figured out what to do when you grow up, thatís a problem, and when I hear of a problem, I look at the Leaders. In fact, this is a good segue to make about that, because your Leaders are in the horoscope houses of work: the Sixth and Tenth Houses. But first, letís conclude with the Moon:

        Secondary Transcendental Moon is in the Ninth. The Ninth is traditionally ruled by Jupiter. Remember before, when I said Jupiter symbolizes soulful institutions? Thatís also the Ninth House symbolism; thatís what the Ninth House represents. Thatís why, in cookbook astrology, youíll see many things described as Ninth House matters that, on the surface, donít appear to be connected: publishing, higher learning, philos≠ophy, spiritual systems, travel to foreign countries. What do these things have in common? Theyíre collective or institutional representations of soul. When we touch them, the personal soul is expanded, particularly in a feeling-toned way. Such things are obviously important to you.

        To conclude, you want to visualize a bridge: thereís a positive dynamic between the Ninth and the Third House: the two key focal points in your horoscope.

 

> The ďseekerĒ is a Ninth House quality, isnít it?

 

A seeker is very Ninth House.

 

> If I were to describe myself in a word, that would be the word Iíd select.

 

Uranus in the Third means: thinking in an innovative, intuitionally brilliant manner. The Moon in the Ninth symbolizes emotionally expansive experi≠ences that touch you in a profoundly personal manner. To the extent that other people are involved, it might even represent mutually supportive (or merging) experiences. In other words, something that is spiritual but learning it and experiencing it in an especially human, personal way.

        It may involve other women, because the Moon rules women. Or it might represent men who consciously integrate the Moon principle.

        We want to visual a bridge between these two houses, which weíre trying to describe right now.

        Again, the Ninth House represents ďcodified soulful experience.Ē The Eighth represents what you do in terms of your psychological exploration: insight into complexes and into transformative psychic experience. The Ninth House, which follows it, is taking that personal stuff and examining it in a broader, cultural context. How have people in previous generations, in previous cultures, in previous spiritual traditions dealt with their personal transformation? And studying such systems and cultures, and integrating that knowledge. Then placing your personal material into a historical context, into a spiritual-historical con≠text. Thatís the Ninth. But with the Moon there, youíre going to do it in a very personal, emotive, feeling-toned way.

 

> Well, I used to be rather annoyed with myself that I was so emotional. But I guess that at some point in life, you come to terms with it. And itís like: OK, thatís just who I am.

 

Thatís who you are, yes. So youíre very emotional, yes?

 

> Oh, yeah!

 

Good! You know, I once did a reading for a couple, and the man had Leading or most aspected Moon. Usually, that symbolizes difficulty in expressing emotion. You know: closing down, shutting down, being unable to emotionally connect with others. Conversely, it can also portray emotional explosiveness: a lack of emotional appropriateness and control. And so, I started to describe thisĖin a really tender wayĖto him. But there was an uncomfortable silence at the other end of the line. Finally, in a cold, hostile tone, he grunted, ďWell, I used to be that way. But Iím not anymore.Ē [Laughs] And he hung up the phone and he left! He left the reading; he was so gripped by that repressed emotion, which manifested as icy rage. So I was left alone with the wife on the phone, and she just laughed uproariously. She said, ďI have to tell you, you really put your finger on it with him. Heís impossible.Ē And then we had a great time for the rest of the reading!

        So obviously, itís much better to be in touch with the emotions. Iíve consulted with many women who were born with Leading Moon. Often, itís difficult for them. Theyíre afraid to approach or express the feelings. Therefore, it can be a tough thing to work with.

 

> Iím visualizing a bridge between the two houses. What kind of a bridge is it? Whatís the purpose of the bridge? Help me understand this.

 

Itís a two-way bridge. A link between the cog≠nitive intuitional brilliance of Uranus (in the Third) with all the marvelous spiritual stuff weíre talking about, portrayed by Moon (in the Ninth). The spiritual symbolism weíve been discussing is linked with your cognitive processes. Your think≠ing on an everyday level is linked to these larger themes.

        Is any of this ďclickingĒ?

 

> Yes. But my struggle is: I donít know where Iím going with this. 

 

In terms of your career?

 

> With my life! My whole life: every part of it.

 

How does it manifest on a daily basis? How does it manifest now? Does this describe your interest, you main interest in life?

 

> Absolutely. Everything in the Ninth is precisely what Iíve always been about. Except for when you talk about higher learning. I very much rebelled against being in an institutional setting. But Iím an avid learner: an insatiable learner. Growth is a big thing for me.

 

Thatís an example of higher learning; it doesnít have to mean that youíre enrolled in a school. This is particularly so because youíre Primary Uranus: youíre a rebel. Youíre an individualist; youíre a nonconformist. You have to do it your own way, which is good.

 

> I would certainly say so. Sometimes, I have a hard time conforming to what is expected of me. You know, life sort of takes on its twists and turns. Right now, Iím working in the House of Representatives.

 

Really? Well, I'm glad I'm speaking with someone who can affect the government!

 

 > Actually, I am - in a small yet sometimes significant way. I work for a committee, and I'm involved with developing legislation. There's a lot of input that we have into what happens there. We can steer it to a certain degree, but then other forces take over. There's a dynamic between the House and the Senate and between the majority and minority. It's an interesting place, and it's an exciting, challenging role.

 

And your official title?

 

> I'm a professional staff member. Our committee chairman is a congressman from the Northeast. He's a great chairman. He stands up for what he believes, even if it means standing up to the leadership. I like working for him, because he doesn't tow the party line if it compromises his integrity. If he feels something isn't right, he stands up and says so. He's in a position where he can affect positive change. He's passionate about what he does, so I like working for him.

 

We were discussing the bridge between the Transcendental horoscope houses. How is your everyday mind, your everyday space, your everyday movement: how is it grounded, affected, and linked by your spiritual philosophy: your worldview?

 

> I always have thingsĖeven in my workspaceĖthat represent a part of my spirituality. For example, I have a peace candle. I have a rock thatís painted with a Celtic knot, which I acquired in Scotland. Different things like that. I bring that into my space. I always have a poster or something that contains a pic≠ture with an important saying. Something like that.

 

See, thatís an example. Now, letís imagine a movement from the Ninth to the Third: a spiritual-philosophical view thatís linked to personal interaction and emotional well-being. Thatís your Ninth House Moon. You take that worldview, and you bring it into your daily communication and inter≠action. You might have a mundane conversation with someone, but youíre trying to communicate things, in a subtextual way, about how you feel and think. That would be the Ninth House moving into the Third.

 

> Thatís an accurate description. Yes.

 

It could also move in the other direction. Remember: the Third is a mental house. Itís connected to research and reading. Because itís ruled by Mercury: absorbing and communicating information. Thereís a Uranian filter, or quality, or flavor to how you do that. You might absorb innovative approaches or unusual information. Absorbing that and communicating that.

        The movement from the Third to the Ninth might be: youíre absorbing all that material, and you synthesize it into your Ninth House philosophical worldview. Therefore, your Ninth House assumes a Uranian flavor. An innovative way of approaching spiritual or cultural systems.

        We introduce Uranus into the Ninth through that Transcendental bridge, you see? Conversely, we take a spiritual-philosophical Moon and move it into the Third House, lending the Third a lunar or emotive quality. When you communicate with others, you tune in to their emotion; you express your foundation feelings to them: your fundamental emotion. So, thatís the two-way bridge.

 

> OK. That works for me.

 

Now, hereís the shadow stuff: the more difficult, delicate stuff, symbolized by the Leaders. The most aspected or Leading Planets are not representative of your true nature. Think about a relationship. When youíre in a relationship with someone, thereís much compromise. You canít just do what you want all the time or be how you want to be. You must consider the other person and their needs, too. So, thereís compromise. In a similar fashion, the most aspected planets are multirelational energies. They have so many connections that their true nature becomes diffused or compromised.

        Another way of talking about this is to say that, on the one hand, the least aspected or Transcendental represents a core, natural, soulful expression. In the Tao Te Ching, Lao Tsu says that water flows to its natural level. Thatís the Transcendental energy. The Leading or most aspected planets are more on the surface of things: more cerebral, less rooted to the soul. And more difficult to express in a proper measure. Or what social workers call, being ďappropriate.Ē This is especially so in early life, in early experiences. Theyíre more difficult, more unmanageable complexes of energy; they take a lifetime to integrate consciously. Therefore, along the way, we make many mistakes with them.  They often blow up in our face, or embarrass us, or get us into trouble. Thereís a hypo-reflex that results from this, since we withdraw them from circulation. Then they arenít practiced; they donít become refined. We feel as if weíre completely out of touch with the energy when, if fact, weíre just hesitating to express it. So, thatís the ďhypoĒ aspect. On the other hand, sometimes they build up, then they explode. It emerges in an explosive manner. Thatís the ďhyperĒ aspect.

        Now, you have Saturn-Venus as most aspected or Leading planets. You probably havenít read my essays on Saturn and Venus yet. But I suggest you read them after our conversation. Iíll summarize it now.

        What do you know about Saturn-Venus? Again, Saturn rules social institutions that reflect cut-and-dry information. ďReality,Ē in quotes. For example, water freezes at thirty-two degrees Fahr≠enheit. Thatís just the way it is. Jung called it a ďjust soĒ kind of reality: thatís just so. Thatís Saturn. Saturn comprises the rules and regulations that govern a three-dimensional world. Weíre mortal creatures; we exist in a particular time and space. Weíre in a body. A body canít be in two places at once. We have to sleep a certain number of hours; we have to eat a certain amount of food; we have to breath so much oxygen. We must follow such rules and regulations. If we donít, we suffer destructive consequences. Therefore, Saturn means learn≠ing what the rules and regulations are, on every level. In our personal life and on a social-collective level. Just as Saturn is the natural laws that govern the universe, it also rules the ďgoverningĒ of society (e.g., governmental structures). Laws regula≠te how individuals interact collectively. These are Saturnian matters.

        If we properly integrate Saturn consciousness, we can, to a certain extent, transcend it. We can go beyond it. We can increase our knowledge of reality once we integrate whatís already known. Thatís why, metaphorically, Uranus ďfol≠lowsĒ Saturn. Uranus can only existĖand the Uranian genius can only existĖwhen it integrates the rules, regulations, and lessons of saturnine reality. Then Uranus can operate at a higher, more sophisticated level.

        For example, someone can invent something new if he knows how to use the materials at hand. If he understands the rules and regulations that apply to the materials at hand, he can put them together in a new, perhaps more efficient manner. And create a structure through which new aspects of the personality (or higher Self) can manifest. Thatís why I say Ura≠nus rules the future personality. 

        You have Saturn as a Leading Planet. That means there may be blockages or difficulties related to the things Iím discussing now. Often, Leaders portray oneĖor eachĖof the parents. Especially the unpleasant characteristics of the parents. You may have had a saturnine parent. MeaningĖagain, this depends on whether itís hyper or hypoĖa parent whoís authoritarian, restrictive, or constricting. Or theyíre experienced in that way. Conversely, in its hypo form, it portrays a parent who isnít properly passing along the discipline or the other Saturnian principles that are needed.

 

> Mine were the former: very strict parents.

 

Thatís usually what it is. The Leader is usually something in excess.

 

> Whew! Being the oldest made it even more difficult!

 

Iíve had many clients with this configuration. Often, with a Leader, what happens is that our emotional and ideational associations to the energyĖvis-ŗ-vis the parentĖare distasteful and discomforting. As a result, particularly in the first half of life, we avoid the issues symbolized by the Leader. In your case, with Leading Saturn, you probably tried to avoid any kind of constricting, overly conventional situation. But at a certain point, that may have caught up with you. Eventually, youíre arrested by the ďSaturnian police.Ē In other words, there might have been an arrestment of develop≠ment. You must then take a step back and deal with it, and say, OK, I do need some sort of structure, in order to manifest my Uranian potential.

 

> The way I broke away from the parents restrictions was to leave and travel to Europe. They couldnít tell me what to do over there. But I unwittingly entered into a marriage that was very restrictive.

 

Iím not surprised. I say so, because psychic energy often flows in a preordained fashion, even if itís moving in a destructive direction. In other words, the energy is attracted to a pattern thatís already familiar. One of the definitions of familiar is ďof or related to the family.Ē Itís a familiar pattern because itís molded upon something from the atmosphere of the biological family. Thatís how itís imprinted in us: how it forms a deep, difficult to break psychic groove. 

        We know how difficult it is to transcend such patterns. The formation of such complexes goes back to early childhood. Thatís why we have the classic story of the girl with the alcoholic father who unwittingly marries an alcoholic. The psychic energy knows that groove, so it flows to it habitually, almost like a diabolical attraction. 

        To break the pattern, three things are necessary: 

        Insight into the pattern. Thatís a psychological work. Itís difficult, but it allows us to gain insight into its true nature. And then recognizing the typical situation when it comes up and not allowing yourself to fall into the complex: refusing to have the habitual reflex. That depotentiates the complex. And the third thing is to create a new habitual response: one that is more positive. But thatís the exceedingly hard part. You know, to say: OK, I donít want this pattern. So, which pattern do I want?

 

> Iíve learned to adapt my behavior. Thatís why I can survive in the environ≠ment Iím in. Although I feel as if Iím adapting, I also feel as if Iím learning. I approach it as an exploration of worlds that are different from my experience, from my real≠ity.

 

Thatís very Uranian. ďNew realities,Ē you know? But first, you married the Saturnian husband. Then what did you do?

 

> We were married for eight years. Shortly after we married, I knew it was a big mistake. But I kept thinking, well, Iíll try to make this work. Finally I decided, no, itís not going to work; heís not going to change. Iím out of here. Once Iíve reached a decision, I have no problem to follow through with it.

 

Saturn represents the ability to structure your time and space effectively. Have you been able to do that? Is that a problem? Is that something that comes naturally, or is it a skill thatís been difficult to develop? Here, weíre especially concerned with details of everyday life, with quotidienne reality. Saturn is in your Sixth House, and the Sixth symbolizes quotidienne reality. 

        When you examine a horoscope house, remember there are three houses that are related by element (earth, air, fire, or water). To understand your Leading Saturn in the Sixth, we first examine the Second, Sixth, and Tenth as a whole, because those are the ones related by ele≠ment. Theyíre are related by earth, meaning the pragmatic approach to reality.

        The Second is our natural talent and ability: our inner resources. The Second House is related to self-value, self-esteem, and to things we value in life. If we express our talent, then our self-esteem rises. If we value our talents, we value our self. And if we value our self, we are fully in life.

        Thereís a story in the Bible about the talents; do you know it? A man who buries his talent is the most despised of all. Heís more despised than the man who takes his talent, gambles it, and loses it. Because at least the one who gambled tried to enter into the game of life. Thatís the most important thing: to enter into the game. Not to avoid life. So, even if we fail Ö Itís similar to the tale of the Prodigal Son. The Prodigal Son is valued because, even though he failed, he entered into the game of life and he did so in an exceptionally Uranian fashion. He tried to live in an innovative way. Thatís valuable, because he attempted to go beyond the established social-collective pattern. Each of these stories is related in that sense. Libido or psychic energy values a forward movement. So taking the first step and exercising oneís talent: thatís the Second House.

        In the next stage in this cycle, the Sixth House, is what we do on a daily basis with our talent. Do we create a time and spaceĖa structureĖwithin the day? And do we do it in a repeated fashion, through time? Because the Sixth House is day after day after day. Itís routine: the continual duties of life. For example, taking out the garbage is ruled by the Sixth House. The Sixth portrays how we organize the minutiae of everyday life. If itís organized effectively, we build a structure and schedule through which we manifest our talent and manage it properly. The Sixth symbolizes working for a living, because working for a living is some≠thing we do on a daily, repeated basis. It doesnít rule vocation per se. But it rules managing the details that are involved with working on a daily basis.

        The final house in this elemental cycle is the Tenth. The Tenth (which is where your Secondary Leader, Venus, resides) rules vocation: the lifework. So, the triplicity of the houses represents a progressive evolution. They show us how to accomplish things over time, dynamically. The Second House is the talent. The Sixth House is what we do with it, on a daily basis. If we work it effectively, day after day, we achieve recogni≠tion within our vocation, symbolized by the Tenth.  

        Now, you have a Leader in the Sixth (Saturn) and a Leader in the Tenth (Venus). So, thereís probably a block there. Itís related to the authoritarian, discipli≠narian parents you had, which is symbolized by Leading Saturn. There was probably what Americans call ďan issueĒ with this energy, particularly on a Sixth House, routine level. And that, in turn, created a block with your vocation. 

        You have Secondary Leader, Venus, in the Tenth House of vocation. As you said, Venus represents balance. We talked about the Moon before. Moon is the internal sense of equilibrium and well-being: the emotional substrate, the emotional foundation. The personal connections we have with our inner feelings. Venus is what happens when we introduce our feelings into an interpersonal context: with other people or interactively, with other things. An artist who paints is, on one level, doing something Venu≠sian, because heís paying attention to aesthetic balance and harmony in his immediate environment, i.e., upon his canvas. So Venus rules the aesthetic, visual balance. Interpersonally, itís concerned with how our communication affects anotherís feeling. Thatís also a Moon principal, but the Moon is more of an introverted principle. Itís concerned with your relation to yourself, to your own emotion, and to interactions that are nurturing (such as a motherís relation to an infant). But Venus is what you do with feelings of intimacy and how you express them: how they affect the other, and how that creates a special field between the two of you. That fieldĖthe emotional balance (harmony) or lack of balance (disharmony)Ėthatís what Venus describes.

        Venus is associated with romance and interpersonal intimacy, but itís not just romance. Love and romance are contained within this frame, because Venus portrays how things are brought into harmony. For example (and this doesnít describe you, because yours is a Leading Venus), clients with Transcendental Venus are often healers, especially physical healers, such as chiro≠practors or message therapists. Because theyíre restoring harmony in the body. They exercise an interactive, one-on-one contact with someone and, through that interpersonal merging, restore the clientís well-being.

        Again, itís a Leader for you, so there were problems with integrating this principle in your life. Perhaps, youíve had fewer problems than others have had with it, because of your Moon. You have a strong emotional foundation, symbolized by Transcendental Moon. 

        So, how does this work with you? And consider that it works with a Leading Saturn. Itís connected with Saturn, since both are most aspected or Leading Planets. For example, if you were involved with a Saturnian husband, your ability to interact in an intimate way may have been blocked.

 

> Oh certainly, absolutely. Yes, it was. I didnít respond very well at all to that situation.

 

In your horoscope, Saturn / Venus are close in aspect rating. The effect of each is quite strong. Venus is in your Tenth House. Saturn is in your Sixth House. How was this manifested in professional settings? If you donít do well with authority figures, that could lead to problems in a professional setting.

 

> Typically, what happens is that, if I respect an authority figure, Iíll do whatever it takes. But if I lose respect, then itís hard for me. Iíll show up for work, but if I lose respect, especially for a boss Ö Iíve had it expressed to me that, ďSomehow, you seem distracted. You bark at me.Ē [Laughs] And Iím not even aware that Iím barking! So, I guess it does come out. I donít feel I can put on an effective front for an extended period. Letís put it that way.

 

That resonates. Because Venus symbolizes the diplomat. Itís an ability to erect a front. But thatís difficult for you to do.

 

> Oh, it is!

 

Because you donít value it.

        Hereís where we enter into Western philosophy. In East≠ern philosophy, we speak of being holistic: of emulating Buddha. We seek a balanced form of enlightenment. To remain in the center of a circle and evoke that wholeness. In the West, however, we develop talents and ignore other talents. We value certain things, and we devalue other things. We become one-sided. Our psychic energy is focused on specific things. Yet, thatís the true nature of who we are: of our Western psyche.

        The problem weíre discussing, in a larger, philosophical context, is the problem of being a human being. To develop talent, to develop individuality, to develop personality, by its nature is a lopsided operation. So in a sense, it is natural and all right to develop in such a manner. For you, this is portrayed by the Uranus-Moon principles, which represent your true, core energies: your individualism. Conversely, other things feel less natural to us, such as the Saturn-Venus principles, in your particular case.    

        These four energies (two developed; two underdeveloped) represent a crucifixion. As human beings, weíre torn between opposing principles. Weíre crucified, because we maintain the tensionĖthe energetic ten≠sionĖbetween four opposing principles. Ideally, however, we want to integrate and work with the less natural energies as much as possible. For you, thatís Saturn-Venus. Somehow, you must ground the Leaders by linking them to your TranscendentalsĖto Uranus-MoonĖas much as possible.  

        

> Do you have a suggestion as to how to do that?

 

Itís easier said than done! But I always like to start with a suggestion in terms of simple, mundane, basic things. Because thatís usually where we trip up most with such psychic functions. For example, recognizing the need to be a diplomat when you donít want to be one. And realizing that, if you can accomplish this, youíll maintain and preserve your Uranian independence. If youíre in a situation where not being a dip≠lomat will get you fired, then you wonít have any money, and then you canít explore the interesting and unusual things you want to explore philosophically. Thatís a simple example, but with the Leading Planets itís important to begin with such sim≠ple, basic truths. Sometimes, it just involves a little readjustment, on that basic level, to protect yourself. To defend yourself.

 

> Yes. You know, over the years, you develop.

 

Yes. And often, itís a question for the second half of life. Sometimes, we must develop talents more in the first half of life. In the second half, we examine our shadow in greater depth and ask: how is this tripping me up? How can I link the opposing principles? One of the reasons I call them Leaders is because they go off on their own: into their own direction. They must be reined in. They must be linked and grounded: brought into a focal point, represented by the Transcendental.    

        Usually, we ground them by placing them in the service of our higher work, symbolized by the Transcendental Planet. For example, youíre doing something lunar and Uranian. You have an intuitional sense about other peopleís feelings. And youíre interested in new ways of thinking: in spirituality and philosophy. Uranus has much to do with utopias. You see, youíre working on a governmental level, but you have a secret uto≠pian agenda. Uranus is related to perfectionism. Itís trying to create a perfect structure. Thatís why itís continually reforming things. Itís trying to make it better and better. Weíre trying to perfect something, even though we realize thereís no such thing as ďthe perfect.Ē But nonetheless, weíre trying to perfect something, to improve it. So, you might bring Saturn in by examining how you structure time and space. How might you introduce more discipline and planning, so that you can develop those Uranian qualities and characteristics in your lifework?    

        Thereís an introverted and an extroverted application. On the extroverted side, not being a diplomat might get you into trouble. So weíre asking: how to improve the negative expression of Venus? But you can also ask: How do I bring the positive aspect of Venus into my work? In other words, not just by avoiding problems, but also by improving my lifework. Letís say you were working on something utopian. Think about the Venusian qualities, too: of aesthetics, of how things look, of how beauty gives a sense of inner tranquility and value. Bring Venus in there.

 

> OK. I always have those intentions, but I donít always follow through. [Laughs]

 

Another way of approaching it is to say that, sometimes, what we reject is catalyzed on a deeper, unconscious level. To the extent that you reject authorities, itís because you know you should be the authority. You feel you know more than these people do. That may be a legitimate urge and an objective conclusion. But perhaps you havenít created a structure wherein you can exercise that natural authority.

 

> I can tell you that, being the oldest child, you are used to being in charge. Where Iíd like to be with my life is working independently. Iíd like to not have a boss. Iíd like to be my own boss.

 

Thatís exactly what Iím saying. Create a place for it. Build a structure that allows you to be in charge, to be in charge of your own empire.

 

> Yes!

 

That may be the cause of the discomfort.

 

> I think it is.

 

A person who doesnít carry the impulse to be an authority can be a happy secretary. Actually, thatís a bad example: as we all know, secretaries are secret dictators! But someone who doesnít have the impulse to lead is more con≠tent in that nonleading role. So, these are things to consider.    

        In terms of Saturn-Venus as Leaders: whatís been more difficult? Whatís been more of an obstacle? Intimate relationship (Venus) or structure, discipline, and dealing with authority (Saturn)?

 

> Intimate relationship.

 

That doesnít surprise me. With Leaders, often, the actual Leader (in your case, Saturn) is so obviously a problem that it must be dealt with immediately and continually. For example, you knew you had that big issue with the parents. Itís as if it hits you square on the head: bang! And your husband was Saturnian, and you had to deal with that, as well. The Secondary Leader is often left in the dust, because so much energy is initially going to the problems symbolized by the Primary Leader.    

        So, tell me about Venus. You havenít had successful intimate relationships? Or you donít often search for them?

 

> I donít search for them. If they happen, fine. If they donít Ö I donít know how to explain it, except to say Iíve come to a point where I tell myself: itís not that important. Although, Iím not averse to it.

 

Has it always been ďnot that importantĒ?

 

> No.

 

At what age were you married?

 

> I was married from the age of nineteen to the age of twenty-seven. I remarried when I was thirty-one. I remained married for eleven years. Iíve been divorced for twelve years, and Iíve been on my own for fifteen. Iíve had other rela≠tionships. But I just donít trust men. Each of my husbands cheated on me. They werenít faithful. And thatís an important thing for me. Iíve always been a monogamous person. Yet I donít seem to attract monogamous men, for whatever reason. And so, once I discover thatís the case, itís like: forget it. Iím not playing this game. Iím not going to be in this relationship. Because for me, that doesnít work.

 

Were your parents monogamous? Was your father monogamous?

 

> I donít think so. I donít know for sure. But it wouldnít surprise me. I know my mother wasnít. My mother ended up marrying the parish priest. The ceremony took place right in our church! After being married to my father, who converted to Catholicism just for my mother. She was mar≠ried to my father for eighteen years, and they had eight children.

 

Well, the minister always marries the devilís daughter!

 

> [Laughs] But my mother is ďpure as the driven snow.Ē Just ask her, you know?

 

Of course, opposites attract. But when a relationship is based on opposites attract, itís not always a good thing. Because each person is then living out the other oneís unconscious half. And their complexes. Conversely, when relationships are based on commonalityĖon com≠mon, shared valuesĖtheyíre often less exciting at the beginning, but they may exhibit greater endurance. ďLike attracts likeĒ is supported by deeper, more resolute foundations.

 

> Well, thatís where I am. Iíd rather be a best friend with someone.

 

With your Moon, youíre obviously a sensitive person. Youíre going to judge things in terms of how actions affect your feeling. And so, if someone cheats on you, itís going to have a powerful effect on your emotional foundation. Naturally so.

 

> Yes. It does.

 

Perhaps, youíre really the ďpure as snowĒ person. Therefore, in the future, if you pursue relationships, the man who sends sparks up and down your spine at the beginning Ö you know, the French have a great expression for this. They call it amour fou or coup dífoudre. Amour fou is love madness. Coup dífoudre means being struck by lightning: what we call infatuation. This occurs when itís ďopposites attract.Ē The ďloved oneĒ personifies an unconscious opposite: your extreme unconscious condition. Since youíre ďpure as snow,Ē the principle thatís not so pure is personified and projected on the other person.    

        As you said, you might become best friends first, and it might grow into intimacy. It might endure, however, if it were someone like you.

        In the mid 1990s, they published clinical studies on this. Iím more of an archetypal-psychology type of person than a clinical-statis≠tical type. But Iíve examined studies that prove this statistically: that ďopposites attractĒ rarely endures. Particularly nowadays. In our parentsí generation, there were many marriages based on opposites attract. But they lived in a more fixed, conventional, saturnine structure, whereby they lived dysfunctionally with such problems and didnít get divorced and, you know, they just ended up like two crazy people after fifty years; I donít know. But we donít want to do that. So we get into conflict, eventually. You know, after the sparks die down. So Ö

 

> So look for someone like me, huh?

 

I believe so, yes. I remember years ago, when I was in my early twenties, someone was saying that, in India Ö this is not something we can do now, but in India, they traditionally practiced arranged marriages. And they consulted astrologers for this. The parents would select ten or fifteen suitable brides for their son. Then theyíd call in astrologers and narrow it down. Usually, the son participated in the choice. And the girls whom he was interested in, their fam≠ilies would do the same thing. After the final selection, theyíd marry. There was no love at the beginning. There was just friendship, at the most. But it would often develop into love. And these marriages tended to last.     

        In describing the more recent, post-Sixties generations that didnít subscribe to arranged marriages, they coined a pejorative term: love marriages. Itís just awful, to say this. ďOh, thatís just a love marriage.Ē Because itís a marriage based merely on so-called love: on infatuation, actually. And many of the marriages didnít last; they ended in divorce.     

        The lesson to be learned is that, often, couples in arranged marriages loved each other at the end, but not at the beginning. Yet, they were compatible at the beginning. Thatís why, at the beginning, there arenít sparks. Because itís not an unconscious projection.  

        Of course, an intimate affair is different. It could be fun, in the short term. But romantic fun and games are different from a marriage. In the short-term ďopposites attractĒ can be fun but, in the long-term, one must ask: is there a mutual foundation on which each person can stand?

 

> Thatís where Iíve come at this point. I have to agree with that.

 

Again, insight into the complex is the first step. Perhaps, weíve developed some insight into this pattern you have. And then, avoiding the typical reflex. The next time you meet a guy who really sends sparks shooting up and down your spine, step back and look at it. And ask, what is this? In other words, avoid the unconscious reflex, by having insight when a complex is hit. The third thing is creating a new pattern. That means interacting with those who reflect who you are consciously, not unconsciously.

 

 

To obtain your own astro-map & analysis, please inquire here.

 

I. Introduction

II. Transcendental Biographies    |    III. Transcendental Events

IV. Psychic inflation    -    Summary of Planetary Symbolism

   -    Transcendental Planets        

V. Nodes / the Triple-zero Transcendental    |    Appendices: Orbs / References / Data

Additional Maps    |    Bibliography    |    FAQ

Postscript:

I. Interview in Astrolore    |    II. Transcendental Nations    |    III. American Presidents & LAP Saturn

IV. World Events    |    V. Numinous Consciousness    

VI. The LAP as a metaphor of the soul    |    VII. Zones of Intensity    |    

VIII. Complete Index of Names and Events
   |    IX. Order Charts / Home Page / Contact

X. Search this entire site    |    XI. Purchasing Books about Astrology

|      Home Page: Astrocartography      |

 

All text © Copyright 2012 Rob Couteau and cannot be used without the written and expressed consent of the author.
key words:
astrology and astrocartography consulation reading